Have you ever played one of those treasure hunt games? You are given one clue,
…which leads you to another,
…and so on,
until your final clue leads you to the treasure.
You didn’t start out with clue #1 telling you where to find the treasure. You had to follow the steps in order, tracing back a step or two if need be, in order to get to the desired destination.
That is sort of what finding your calling is like. It’s a treasure hunt of sorts. An adventure. But you have to take the steps in order, and sometimes go backwards in order to get to where God wants you to be.
“Why doesn’t He just give me the answer right away? It would save time and frustration.” You might say.
There’s a couple reasons He does it the way He does:
1. God Sees the Whole Picture. You’ll have to go back to our first article in this series on Finding Your Calling to remind yourself that God’s ways are not ours. If God acted and did things the way I thought He should, then I would be God -not Him. And nobody wants that, trust me!
2. God is Building Character. The process you are going through in seeking God and trusting in Him to lead you to where He wants you to be is building character, and God loves to build character.
[Tweet “God is interested in your character, not your comfort.”]
When God takes you through a process over time, He is able to develop who you are. He is able to mold you into the image of His Son. Many Christians say they was to be like Jesus, but they don’t want to go through the sometimes uncomfortable transformation that has to take place in order for that to happen.
In God’s letter to the Romans, Paul states the process this way:
“We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.” Romans 5:3-4 NLT)
Do you see the progression there? Each step plays a part in helping us grow in our faith.
3. God is dealing with Human Beings. God could force us all to move around like marionettes on strings, but He doesn’t. He gives us free will, and free will is messy.
- We make mistakes
- Take a long time to obey His leading
- We fall into various sins and He has to call us to repentance.
God’s calling on your life involves moving parts and lots of people. But God has all the time in eternity, He is patient beyond anything we can imagine.
4. God is Taking you on an Adventure. This faith journey that we are on is not meant to be dull and lifeless and boring, because God is not dull and lifeless and boring. God is an exciting, interesting God who wants to take you on the ride of your life-literally.
When I look back on all of the ways that God orchestrated every detail of my life to lead me to my calling, I get excited. I stand in awe of what a great God I have! That thrill is something you just won’t find anywhere else.
Watching God work is better than watching the most gifted artist pain a masterpiece, or the most talented musician compose an exquisite arrangement. I become exhilarated just thinking of what He planning next!
But here’s the key: Just as you follow the step-by-step clues in the treasure hunt game, you follow God’s leading step-by-step in finding your calling.
[Tweet “God never gets ahead of himself. God will not show you step B in your life until you do step A”].
Realize that God’s steps for you, and His timing, are perfect, even if you don’t think He’s doing things fast enough.
You just have to take the next step. One step at a time, that is all that God is asking for. One step of faith after another. And as you take each step, your faith will increase and you will be one step closer to where God is calling you.
Sometimes it may look like you are on the wrong path, that there is no way God has led you to where you are. But God has His reasons for revealing the steps as you go. You may not be able to see that the job that you can’t stand today is preparing you for the job or adventure that God has for you down the road. But you can trust Him each step of the way.
Remember this promise when you are tempted to deviate from God’s plan due to impatience or doubt:
“The LORD directs the steps of the godly.
He delights in every detail of their lives. ” (Psalm 37:23 NLT)
God is directing your every step and delights, or enjoys, the details of your life. God finds delightful, the little things in your life that you don’t think are important to anyone.
When we choose to follow God’s leading step-by-step, as we seek to find His calling for our lives, we can be sure that He will lead us to the treasure. And the treasure is so much more that just finding your calling. In the process you will find yourself, your faith journey, your purpose, and your Best Friend.
What about you?
Are you asking God, “What’s the next step?
Are you willing to take the next step that he has for you?
Are you in the “waiting room” as you wait for God’s next step?
What are you learning about yourself and God in the process?